Photographer: FRANK JACKSON


...The Bible says there is a season for everything under the sun. Contemporary idiom says that people come into your life for reasons and seasons.... If that's so then I am very glad to have found the work of Frank Jackson again after all these years.

...Sunday morning I sat searching for a profile picture for facebook, when I came across the above image. It was taken by Frank Jackson twenty years ago when we worked together on a project for UCLA Print Communications. I was art directing the shoot, when unbeknownst to me, Frank happened to capture this image of me coming to work on location at Marina Del Rey (Los Angeles). Something about this shot always appealed to me. The lower vantage point of the photographer erasing all identifying landmarks, and the fact that the boat launch behind me is so abstracted it leaves room for the viewer's own interpretation....

Ethereal. That is what I love about Frank's work. That ability to create images that while subject specific remain content vague. Given this juncture of my own work, where I am focused on leaving room for one's own conception... It was a nice reminder to see that my love of this particular quality has always been with me... Perhaps only another artist or someone who appreciates art can understand how important it is to have this kind of affirmation of authentic voice. Finding true self in the work I strive to create. Rather than creating work just because I think it will have mass appeal or sale. -- Let's face it, at the end of the day I do want others to appreciate what I do, and buy what I do, so I am afforded the opportunity to make more art. Yet financial success (whatever that means individually) must never come at the expense of sacrificing truth.

I did get in touch with Frank via Google, after all these years. He sent these images, and also the following links. Have a look to see some of his current work. Just as consistently beautiful as ever.





HIS WEBSITES:
http://www.lightandletters.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment