WBGO EXHIBIT...


Lyricism: The quality or state of
being melodious. An intense outpouring
of exuberant expressive emotion...



...I am first and foremost a mixed media artist. Employing multiple mediums as I work. When I fell in love with the spiritual quality of making paper, then papermaking became the central construct of all that interest me. So that by now my work is probably most akin to painting compositions made of pulp and textiles. The body of work that is showing at the WBGO Gallery entitled "Lyricism" seems very appropriate for that space, because it is all about the celebration of movement, and the joy I feel when I create. It is melodious. Sometimes, a dance even when I'm in "the zone." Pulp and lace fly through the air as all the "What ifs?" pour out and land on the composing frame. In the end I am generally satisfied that the movement communicates the feeling.


Fabric like paper is about memory and history... The DNA of all those who have touched it are present. My intent is always to leave enough room in my compositions for your own interpretation. After all paper, like us, is organic and the things that touch us don't always have to be concrete or verbal.


I hope you will have the opportunity to attend the opening reception: Thursday, June 3, 2010 6-8 pm:

Lyricism - the art of Rosalind Nzinga Nichol
WBGO ART GALLERY / May 24, - July 30, 2010
open M-F 9 -5
54 Park Place, Newark, NJ 07102


Image show above (from the show): "Essentia" 2010
Mixed Media pulp painted Paper with antique lace inclusions

4 comments:

  1. Dear Rosalind,
    Congratulations! I regret that I will not be able to make the reception, but I will definitely will get to your exhibition before it ends.
    I wish you much success.

    All the best,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosalind,

    This is stunning! I hope you have a wonderful exhibition:).

    Blessings,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. your collage definitely fits the definition of lyrical

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the lines, the room you leave for the viewer and the dance I see in your work.

    ReplyDelete