The Personalities of Hands...


About five years ago now, as I was struggling between continuing to work full time or give more time to my art. My dear friend Janet Taylor Pickett introduced me to photographer Bill Westheimer. I remember the day I visited his studio in the gorgeous carriage house of a mansion no longer standing in Llewellyn Park, West Orange, New Jersey. He was busy collecting images of the hands of people that use them for work (which I guess we all do in one way or another).... After he photographed my hand, he ask me to write a statement about what working with my hands means to me...

That day I came away affirmed in the knowledge that my work is NOW, and I had better get my voice heard while I still had opportunity to do so... The story is a bit longer and deeper than that, but the point is, lending my hand to this project more intimately connected me to the work of my hands. And now I am so pleased to let you know that Bill's amazing project is finally in book form, which also includes my hand and statement. Makes for an inspiring coffee table book. You can read more about it below, or access the link below to Amazon.
"   Now available from Petey Pie Press: MANUAL: The Personalities of Hands is a book of portraits with a twist: personal stories and private secrets told through images of hands. Readers witness the diverse range of humanity through photographs and photograms of hands rather than traditional pictures of faces. The photographs also make up a fine art exhibition. Bill Westheimer has captured the hands of 150 people from diverse walks of life, including a priest, rock star, trapeze artist, mentalist and politician. 78 of the portraits appear in the 96 page full color book. The book dimensions are 9″h x 12″w x 5/8″t. Retail price $25."    From Bill's website: http://billwest.com/books/manual-trade-edition/
BTW: That is Janet Taylor Pickett's hand on the cover - very appropriate I think!
Many blessings for this holiday season....

Also, please save the date if you are in the tri-state area, I will have art in show listed below. Some new paper quilts I am working on:

Art In The Atrium
19th ANNUAL EXHIBIT / SALE    
Memories of Russell
January 28 - March 11, 2011
Opening Reception
Friday, January 28, 2011, 6 - 8 pm
Atrium Gallery
2nd. Floor thru 5th Floor
Admin & Records Bldg
10 Court Street
Morristown, NJ 07960

No comments:

Post a Comment