IN ALL THE WORLD I DREAM IN PAPER...



...Yesterday I had the opportunity to host collage artist Nancy Ego Nikkal in my Collage Memory course at Bloomfield College... It was wonderful to see how she engaged the students in the magical possibilities of visual images. That's part of her gift really. Walking around the class holding up images as if auctioning off rare antiquities or treasures. It was impossible not to engage in acquiring, and thinking of new appropriations for photo parts. In the process every student ended up with an incredible collage...

After the students had all left, we talked about the importance of sticking with what you love. For us both in our own way it's PAPER, PAPER, and more PAPER... So imagine my joy this morning when I came upon this little video: "IN ALL THE WORLD I DREAM IN PAPER" by Petra Storr. Petra is a London based Art Director, whose work encompasses, costume, set and prop design and construction, for still photography and various industries. What is marvelous about her work is that she uses paper so lavishously in her work...


Finally, for my birthday last week dear friend Jan gave me the book  "  Playing With Books: The Art of Upcycling, Deconstructing, and Reimagining the Book".  A subduction in paper if there ever was one. I particularly mesmerized by the last chapter: "Reimaging the Book" which is a gallery of works that leap paper from the page into a wonderland of construction and form...

From commercial packaging and Papier-mâché sculpture, to paper making and mixed media paper, paper has been calling me all of my life. No love could be this strong without being REAL and SIGNIFICANT. Can hardly wait to see what comes next with my work....





No comments:

Post a Comment