PROCESS: Recycled Pleasures...

LEAH MILES...


is a paper artist who uses an innovative hand-making process that transforms recycled paper into wearable pieces. Her work draws inspirations from the surrounding Cornish (England) landscape, and an ethical attitude in use of material and process. The result is a beautiful collection of contemporary jewelry reminiscent of rock strata and sea-washed wood... Her pieces are beautiful, and touch something in me that wants to make use of the thousands of pieces of junk mail that haul out to the curb on a bi-weekly bases.


I love the contemporary feel of her work, which mimics bone or ivory. I find it so innovate and inspiring...

Fast forward to my dilemma: I really hate waste. It seems no amount of phone calls will stop marketers from destroying our precious forests for paper, just to send me barges full of catalogs I don't want. 

VIDEO ABOUT LEAH MILES:
 



Last year I saved the best of hundreds of pieces of junk mail, which I then blended with more quality pulps made of cotton and abaca linters, and my staple - cut up old linen clothing. It made lots of pulp for my holiday snowflake project. In fact too much! Now I am looking for a project to use the left over on.

I have a vision for using the pulp to create some one of a kind jewelry, which at least has a surface value like Leah's work. I have lots of ideas... Just need a recipe....

Any ideas about her process, In boxed info will be greatly appreciated.

Happy NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment