PROCESS...


Femina I: LANDSCAPE
Abaca and Raw Silk with raw silk and antique lace inclusions 18"w X 35"h

For months I have been sowing seed. Donating time and talent to the organizations I volunteer for/and or sit on the board of. I believe firmly in Luke 6:38. That with the quantity you give it will, in kind, be given back to you in more abundance...(my paraphrase). That is not why I volunteer, however I have learned this to be a byproduct of the process. Still I am amazed at the abundance coming back to me...



Last week I spotted some lovely gold raw silk in the fabric bins in my studio and knew it had to be made into paper. (Below are images of the process it took to take the silk from fabric to pulp, that produced the above sheet). My harvest is coming forth a plentiful. The combination of pulp, strips of the fabric, and threads that happened along the way, are creating some amazing compositions. The thing I discovered above all else is that the threads of silk are light and delicate and submit themselves freely to movement like no other threads I have used. Even though thinner, fine thread from a spool cannot compete. The silk threads fly through air with grace and gentleness. Do I sound smitten -- I am! My head is a flutter with ideas...








You can see more of these sheets (a series of studies the feminine form) at my upcoming exhibit: "Visual Alchemy" (see details below). Hope you can stop by...


1 comment: